Announcing Nordstrom’s 2022 Impact Report
Today, we announce the release of our 2022 Impact Report, which shares the progress made toward our set of five-year goals related to corporate social and environmental responsibility (CSR) and diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging (DEIB).
“Core to our values is our commitment to leaving the world better than we found it. That means making meaningful, positive contributions in the communities where we operate, taking responsibility for the impacts of our business, and creating an environment where every customer and employee is welcome, respected and able to be their authentic selves. We do these things not only because they are the right thing to do, but because we know they matter to our customers and improve the overall health of our business,” said Erik Nordstrom, Chief Executive Officer.
We know our impact extends well beyond the walls of our stores and digital operations. That’s why we’re continuing to prioritize responsible business practices and working toward a more inclusive and sustainable future.
Take a look at a few of our key milestones from 2022:
We're committed to making meaningful contributions to the communities where we operate, to promoting the highest principles of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging, and to protecting human rights across our value chain. In 2022, we:
- Donated more than $12M to 350+ organizations in communities where we operate.
- Raised more than $1M and donated 47,000 pairs of shoes to kids in need with Shoes That Fit and gave 23,000 children warm winter coats with Operation Warm.
- Gave $3.9M to almost 3,000 nonprofits through our Employee Matching Donation program.
- Volunteered 26,000+ hours in support of 320+ nonprofit organizations—a 50% increase in employee volunteerism.
- Strengthened our partnership with HBCUs and supported the launch of a new product management track at Morehouse College.
The global climate change crisis affects us all. We’re actively working toward our 2025 environmental goals with the intent to reduce our contribution to the climate crisis and support systemic changes in the fashion industry. In 2022, we:
- Collected 30+ tons of beauty packaging through our BEAUTYCYCLE recycling program.
- Eliminated 853 tons of plastic waste by replacing our plastic Nordstrom Rack shopping bags with paper bags and reached our goal of reducing single-use plastics by 50% in 2025—three years ahead of schedule.
- Kept over 360 tons of clothing out of landfills through donation, resale or refurbishment.
- Reduced our electricity usage by approximately 15% compared to 2021.
- Transitioned all packaging and disposables to plant-based materials in our restaurants.
As a retailer, the products we make and sell connect us to our customers. We take great pride in offering the selection they are looking for, including products to support causes customers care about, fashion from new and diverse designers and opportunities to shop their values. In 2022, we:
- Reached 250 Black, Hispanic and Latinx owned or founded brands in our assortment.
- Contributed to $14M in sales of products from Black Owned/Founded brands during Black Business Month.
- Generated more than $245M in retail sales from brands owned, operated or designed by Black, Hispanic or Latinx individuals.
- Made progress on our sustainability goals with 18% of our Nordstrom Made products created with more sustainable materials.
- Made it halfway to our goal of producing 90% of Nordstrom Made products in factories that invest in gender equity.
These are just a few of the ways that we came together with our people, our customers and our partners to support each other and our communities in 2022.
While we’re proud of our commitments and the progress we’ve made, we know that this work isn’t finished, and we will continue to push ourselves to leave the world better than we found it.
Read the full 2022 Impact Report.